Friday, November 11, 2005

this ocean is wrapped around that pineapple tree

I make little boats.

tiny paper boats that my grandfather taught me how to make. He learned how to make them during the four years that he lived in an orphanage. He and his friends used to float them around in the Adriatic sea, which is where my name comes from. My mother couldn’t decide on a name for me and so I remained nameless for days after I was born, until he picked one for me.

But back to the boats…

I make them to remind myself of my grandfather and all of the genius that he was. I lived with him from the day that I was born until the day he died when I was sixteen. He was a successful engineer, brilliant linguist, opera lover, lifetime member of the national geographic society, chef extraordinaire and my soul mate. From him, I learned to speak Italian, read Shakespeare, write calligraphy, grow vegetables and appreciate pacifism.

So, the boats…

If I meet someone who I think represents his patience, or genius, or humour, I’ll give them one- but never say why.

It’s how I leave my finger print on someone. Even if they don’t know- I know. I guess I have strange ways of making myself known.



do you think i'm crazy yet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Fella said...

You are fortunate to have had someone like him in your life.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

crazy? sweetie of course not.
Start telling us that you have a collection of wire hangers hanging from your ceiling then we will talk crazy.

Your Nonno sounds like he was an amazing man.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Maria Baker said...

I too have strong feelings for my Grandpa. I am so fortunate to still have him in my life (I'm 30) but sometimes I cry knowing that he won't always be here. He has been sick a few times in the last couple years, even having a couple heart attacks. Each time I feel the terror of living life without him. He is the most amazing man I know and without him I would not be who I am today. I love him so much. We are both so lucky.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

I don't think it's crazy at all, I think it's a lovely gesture and a fantastic tribute to him.

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home