Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Anti-Corporate Unbrand: What the hell does that mean??

Man, I remember back in the day when I used to be all about Adbusters. I subscribed, I read, I learned, I absorbed. As it turns out, there's a lot negative bullshit that goes along with being militantly anti-corporate and I'm sick of Adbusters making me feel like a sell-out every time I want to buy a bag of chips. I believe in activism, but the oddities that come out of the woodwork every November 24th (Adbusters' International Buy Nothing Day) and picket outside of the Eaton Centre in Toronto really aren't furthering the cause so much as terrifying small children. Any supposedly liberal publication that takes itself that seriously truly is missing the point of what it means to be liberal.

So while I was traversing the world wide web today, I came accross an Adbusters related link that was discussing the Blackspot V2 Shoe. What is this, you ask? Well, it turns out that the head honchos at Adbusters have decided to get a piece of the antipreneurial pie and start manufacturing a shoe of their own. It's no secret to most of the literate world that Nike is one of the granddaddy's of corporate big whiggery and as such, they take the brunt of Adbusters' wrath (and I concede that they greatly deserve it). So Adbusters has launched this sneaker which is made from 100% all natural hemp and recyled tires for the soles. It sells for $125 Canadian and they're calling it the "un-brand".

Come on.

Whether you call it anti-corporate, antipreneurial or what; an "un-brand" is still a brand. You're still selling a product and thus adding one more item of merchandise to a world that your publication claims is riddled with product saturation.


Whatever

6 Comments:

Blogger Timothy said...

I read your entry regarding Bush's invasion of Iraq. I think you are another person in Canada who is opposed to the slaughter of innocent people.

I think that if there had been any long range weapons of mass destruction at the command of Saddam Hussein, Bush would never have invaded.

A few years ago, during the first invasion of Iraq, I had a summer job as an archaeologist. I learned that the invading airplanes were bombing Iraqi gunners, who hid in "tels." Tels (or tells) are ancient cities, which have been abandoned for innumerable years, hidden beneath the desert sand. Anyway, those invading planes would bomb the whole tel. Thus the invaders burned chapters from the book of human history.

I hope that was clear. That's what initiated my opposition to all war.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

i concur with what timothy said, i just can't express it as clearly as he can. just pretend that i cut and copy what he said below this ...

1:30 AM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

also, i had been meaning to ask, what does "diadima" mean? i looked online (dictionary, searches, etc), and the answers were very unsatisfactory.

oddly enough, i had a cirque du soleil CD playing in the background as i was finishing up a presentation .. and i heard 'diadima' in one of the tracks (allegria, i think).

just/curious .. if it's too personal to discuss, then i completely understand.

11:11 AM  
Blogger diadima said...

NAM: diadima is a nickname. my actual first name is Adria, but my family calls me dia. also, my last name is Di Maggio (as in Joe, but no relation). so when it came time to chose user names, email handles, etc, i used my nickname (dia) + the first four letters of my last name (dima) and there you have it. i've now used it for so long that people have taken to calling me by that name. so there you have it, in a nutshell :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

ok, that sounds too plausible. it's been scripted and rehearsed over and over until it was second nature to respond when asked (i often make my executives rehearse until they can mumble in their sleep).

but really, tell me the real story of the name. i figured it was an anagram of some sort, but i'm terrible with scrabbles so couldn't figured it out.

geek cult: HAL = IBM (HAL as in the evil computer in 2001: a space odyssey). move one letter ahead in HAL and you get IBM. for your computer-like mind, this was probably child's play.

so i was thinking of the possible anagrams for DIADIMA:
* AMIDAID = am i the id?!?
* A AD MIDI = an advert sound file?
* A MAID ID = you play a housekeeper on 'alias'?
* I DID AIM = this has possibility
* ADAM ID I = you would be named adam if you were a born a boy?
* AD MAID I = again, you run a housekeeper service
* DAD AMI I = you, your dad, and someone named ami (french for friend, i believe) .. interesting.
* AID MAID = are you sure you didn't play the housekeeper on 'la femme nikita' or 'point of no return'? time to call the cleaner.
* DADA I IM = you're into that funcky-turn-of-the-century art, aren't you?

i need to go meditate on this some more. have you seen my ritalin or dexedrine anywhere?

4:05 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

ok nam, i'm officially concerned about your analytical habits here.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home