Monday, July 11, 2005

I heart lethargy

As a generally lazy person, I'm experiencing recurring bouts of panic over the business of the next couple of weeks. I'm going to Algonquin Provincial Park on a three-day portage to an island in Rain Lake a week from this Friday. As it turns out, surviving in the wild is expensive shit. I have to hit Canadian Tire sometime this week to get bear repellent, water purification tablets, biodegradable soap, camp pillows, atomic strength bug spray and a 40 litre backpack. I was going to get some of it today, but it's 42 degrees or some crazy bullshit like that and it's hampering my ability to move my ass from this spot.

I tried to go see War of the Worlds on Saturday, but things went awry. The plan was that Mark and I would meet his friends Dan and Lindsay at Ceildh House (which is in Hess Village, a.k.a Barville) for a drink before heading to the theatre. Well, one drink led to six plus two shots. Bottom line- I passed out face down on my bed and don't really remember walking home. I am so lame, excuse me.

On Thursday I'm going to see Matthew Good play at Arizona's in St. Catharine's. All are welcome to come and bask in his gloriousness along with me. I promise it will be magical, plus I promise to look as hot as possible.

Oh yeah, The All American Rejects' new video premiers on TRL today. The video is called "Dirty Little Secret" and contains images of the postcards that can be found at the Postsecret website. The band is a pretty average emo group, but Postsecret is quite possibly the most unique thing on the internet and as thus the video is most certainly worth a gander.

10 Comments:

Blogger Fella said...

WHat the hell is a portage?

And also, Bear Repellant?!

2:02 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

a portage is where you combine canoeing and hiking. in algonquin park there are dozens of little lakes, so you canoe to shore, then you carry the canoe accross hiking trails to the next lake and repeat the process. i'm going to portage accross four lakes to get to the island off of rain lake where our campsite is.

as for bear repellent- it's like pepper spray. if you encounter a bear, you're supposed to make a lot of noise to scare it away. if that doesn't work- and the bear continues to advance, then you spray it in the face with the bear repellent and it usually runs away. it sounds kind of mean, but its better than being eaten by a bear, no?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

If a bear was bearing down (ha!) on me, there would be Nick shaped holes in all the trees leading out of the park.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

word of advice from the 'learned from experience'; transfer all alcohol to the lightest plastic bottles you can find. and don't bring everything under the sun, because you tend to only use a third of it anyways.

i wish i could convince my friends to go on a portage, at least we've got a site booked in algonquin for end of august, but that's not real camping.

do you happen to know if the arizona's show is sold out yet? gonna make a last minute decision on hittin the show thursday...

6:34 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Diadima, you are a stronger woman than I. I like campfires, and nature and all of that. I just want indoor plumbing and a real bed within, say, 20 feet or so.

9:42 PM  
Blogger GingerSnaps said...

i am obsessed with post secret. i really think it makes my sundays so much better. i didnt get to see the video though, i have disconnected my television.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Johnny Menace said...

wouldn't it be easier if bear repellant was a spray you had to put on yourself to repel bears. I mean it sounds like you have a bear/moose/rapist/whatever thing you want to spray pepper with.

4:20 AM  
Blogger diadima said...

aaron: the arizona's show is NOT sold out. tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door which is a pretty fair price to pay to have your soul enriched for an evening.

also- hopefully you can get your friends to change their minds. we're going an 18km portage on the western uplands trail. it'll be AWESOME

ubermilf: i LOVE camping. i don't really seem like the type, but i love it. i love sleeping outside and i love traversing difficult portages because (and this will sound ghey, so i apologize) it makes me feel very canadian.

lilred: postsecret is just such an amazing online creation. so many people have sent in cards relating that they were considering suicide, but writing their secret down gave them enough release.

johnny menace: it would be easier. i say its time you hit the patent office.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Paddy Johnson said...

Yeah, I like post secret - though everyone seems to have the same three secrets. My personal favorite thus far is a postcard that read something to the effect of "I cried in Star Wars III, but not for the tsunami victims".

2:43 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

nuclear beaver: thanks for the suggestions, i'm in T.O today so i'll check it out.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home