Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Another time, another place, another face, still me

Today I was walking up Hunter St and I saw an apartment for rent sign in the window. I guess my eye is sort of trained to notice them lately because of the whole moving thing last month. The sign was for a bachelor apartment on the first floor of a house. For some reason every time I see a sign for a bachelor apartment I immediately begin to fantasize about living a secret life. I would still have this life, but in my spare time I would have a second life where I work at another part-time job, where I have a different name and different friends and I would keep a little bachelor apartment that was sparsely but tastefully furnished. The apartment is key; although I would probably never sleep there, but I could have people over for coffee and use the emptiness to produce better art and writing. Bachelor apartments down here are usually between $400 and $450 so it’s entirely doable. It’s that whole idea of having your own secret space that no one knows about. I completely understand why people used to build secret rooms in their houses. It’s weird how I’ve obviously thought about it to an extensive degree. It’s not that I’m unhappy with the life that I’m living right now, it’s just that I want to see if I could get away with it. I want to find out if I could put this over on everyone. There have been so many times that I’ve said to myself “I wish I could just start over…”

Then I see a sign that tells me how for $400 a month, I could.



7 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

Do you think that you would be the same type of person in both lives? I think if I did it I would make the bachelor apartment me more witty, or elegant, or brooding... just somebody more dramatic and wounded - drawing people into my chic little world...
It's a great post.

10:03 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

thanks for the kind comments loz. i think i would just be the version of me that i'm too embarassed/afraid/stuck up to be now. it's like how sometimes when i think i want to do something and i tell people about it, and they shoot it down. sometimes i do it anyway, but most times i don't. the bachelor apartment me would just do it, because there wouldn't really be anyone to tell me not to.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

the bachelor apartment you would be so self-assured that no one would feel the need to offer her advice. At least, that's how I would be.

10:45 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

exactly.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

sounds like the script to a good movie! when are you gonna doc it up and ship to hollywood?

3:37 AM  
Blogger diadima said...

na, probably not. that's more something the bachelor apartment me would do.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

Bachelor apartment you is so gutsy...

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home