Saturday, May 21, 2005

clutch it like a cornerstone, otherwise it all comes down

What a piece of shit day.

After a wonderful morning of miscommunication and whatnot at work, I decided to take my millions that I've piled up over the last week and a half of waitressing and hit the malls. I started downtown, got a few tank tops, then I decided to head uptown to Limeridge. When I got off of the bus, I was feeling a little parched so I went to A&W to buy some delicious root beer. It wasn't until I went to pay that I discovered I had lost my wallet.

Where's the worst place to lose your wallet? In Toronto, it's most definitely the subway, due to all of the thieving bastards who frequent the lines. In Hamilton (due to a lack of subway), it's the bus, due to all of the thieving bastards who frequent it. Where did I lose my wallet today? Oh, that would be the bus of course.

I love how you never lose your wallet when you have no fucking money. It's only when you've just been paid and have everything gathered together for a shopping spree that this sort of shit happens. Out of sheer desperation and faint hope, I phoned the Transit Commision to see if anyone had turned it into the driver of the bus. Surprise, surprise, it was no where to be found. They took my phone number and promised to call if anyone turns it in. Which they won't. Because people suck.

Anyway, before someone else points it out, I'll admit that it's totally my fault for leaving it on the bus like a moron...

But come on. There's a difference between finding a twenty on the street and playing finders keepers with it and finding a wallet with someone's driver's lisence (i.e, contact information) and pictures of cute nieces and nephews. Common decency would denote returning the wallet to the poor, desperate idiot; perhaps with the advice that they put things back into their purses when travelling on public transit.

Ah well.

People suck. Just in case you missed it earlier.

11 Comments:

Blogger diadima said...

i'd be happy just to get it back empty so i don't have to go through the soul-raping hassle of getting everything replaced. the funny thing is that when i reported it to the police, they told me where to get everything re-issued, and then said "you'll need a piece of photo id"

????????
my wallet just got stolen,fuckers. i ain't got no photo id.

anyway, as to your question underhill, i was wondering the very same thing myself.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

oh bummer .. i'm so sorry to hear of your distress .. this happened to me a few months ago, but, luckily, my wallet was found (missing cash, of course) and returned.

if you haven't done so, then here's a quick call-to-action:
* cancel all credit and ATM cards.
* keep a comprehensive log of all conversations with financial and gov't agencies
* report the loss to the local police; be sure to get the case number.
* contact major crdit reporting agencies (re: equifax, experian, etc)
* cancel/replace driver's license
* for the next few days, be aware of strangers lurking around your home/work - your addresses are in the "public" domain.

hope this helped - i know it's draining to have to deal with this sorta BS, but time is the enemy .. less you become a victim of identity thief.

2:49 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

only cool people become victims of identity theft. but thanks for the call-to list. i've done most of it, except to cancel my atm card. mostly because there's -$8 in there right now. ha.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

I empathize with you. The last time I was in Vegas, I left my backpack on a tram; it had my cell phone, plane tickets, hotel room key and car keys in it. Granted I didn't lose my wallet so it's not quite the same thing but it was a huge hassle especially the plane tickets, becasue they were gratis to begin with. It's virtually impossible to replace free plane tickets.

God, I love Maynard

9:19 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

it sounds like your policy on keeping bank accounts low is like my policy on keeping the petrol in my car low! It's of no benefit to anyone that way...

i relate to your frustration - i've lost alot of wallets myself. i agree with mister underhill - keep the money if that's what you're after but give back the important things...

if you find and return a wallet with the money in it you're pretty likely to get a reward anyway

2:50 AM  
Blogger Louise said...

Sorry to hear about this. In Keighley you're never likely to get your money back, but you'd probably get your wallet returned.

I very rarely have mony in my wallet, but it's got my driving licence, credit card, ATM card, and my N I card. It'd be a nightmare if I lost it.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the closest I've ever come to losing my wallet was actually in the Toronto Subway System. I pulled it out to get a token to get into dundas station and I guess I missed my pocket. Completely blind to what had happened my wallet fell to the floor. Luckily some good samaritan behind me saw the whole thing and chased after me. I think there was about $50 in the wallet at the time too which is strange for me because I usually don't carry any cash. Well I wish you luck, there's still a good chance someone will contact you.

9:33 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

nick: i actually left my backpack on the bus in toronto last year. it was during spring break which meant that i had all of my clothes plus $600 of textbooks from ALL of my courses that i ended up having to replace. apparently spring brings a mild form of retardation for me. also, maynard, mmm gooood.

loz: as a waitress, i'm constantly in supply of cash and rarely go to the bank as i cash my paychecks at work as well. therefore, the bank fees keep withdrawing into the red if i forget to put money in once in a while.

louise: i'm pretty sure you never get the money back anywhere. bastards.

tony: i'm utterly shocked that a torontonian chased you. that's awesome you lucky bastard. ps, thanks for the well wishes.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

i have a karma surplus at the moment .. you can have some of mine to carry you through the week.

perhaps you'll win the lottery this week - buy at least one scratcher, i have a good feeling about this.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Don't be too sure you were a moron -- you might not have left it behind. While waiting for a train in Chicago, someone lifted my wallet from my bag while I wasn't looking. Of course, maybe I was a moron for getting so absorbed in a magazine article that I didn't notice someone taking right at my feet stealing my wallet...

On the bright side, someone might find your empty wallet in a trash can and send it to you. That happened to me.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually caught a guy that stole my wallet once. had a brief flash of spider-sense or something, and immediately checked my bag (i was in a bar), realized it was gone and bolted out the door..recognized the guy that had been standing closest to me. accosted him. he threw his hands up as if to say, "who, me?" and i saw it sticking out of his pocket...grabbed it, called him a damn dirty liar. if i'd been more sober i probably wouldn't have done it..

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home