Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A/C stands for evil conditioning

I'd just like to say that I am not an advocate of air conditioning.

Today it was hotter than hades here in Gotham City (a.k.a, Hamiltonia). It was about 32 with the humidex and in this country, that's HOT. As you may recall from a previous post, I lost my wallet on the bus some weeks ago and decided that just in case I pass out from heat exhaustion on the sidewalk, I had better get a new health card. I've always thought of my health card as being more of a sentimental object than anything else. Healthcare is free in Canada and I have been to the hospital countless times without my card and been cared for just as speedily as if I had it on my person. Mostly I just wanted to get a new picture taken cuz I was feeling all sassy in my summer digs today.

But I digress.

When I first left my apartment, I noticed the heat (obviously), but I wasn't really bothered by it. Then I got to the ministry, waited in line for half an hour, filled out my form, had my picture taken and headed back outside into...into...

well...

HELL. That's how hot it felt. It was as though the temperature outside had doubled within the 30 minutes that I was inside the building. That's the thing about air conditioning: it's e-vil like the fru-its of the de-vil (as Loz/Mike Myers would say). It's a very tricky marketing scheme those Heating and Cooling grads from Mohawk College have cooked up here. You start off thinking your fine with the heat, then they get you all cool as a cucumber with the a/c, and then they throw you back outside into the unbearable heat just to prove that we all NEED air conditioning and that we should go and purchase it immediately lest we perish in the sauna that is southern Ontario.

So that's it.

I'm boycotting air conditioned buildings this summer.

(basically I can't leave my apartment until halloween)

How sad is it that the prospect of that doesn't really sound half bad to me.

Sure, it looks smog free from this angle...but I swear that it's Gotham City when you pan over to the steel district.

16 Comments:

Blogger Loz said...

I know your pain... but I've been beaten down by the A/C Empire and I'm completely under their control.

If you're having dramas with the heat then I suggest you don't visit Queensland. It's winter here now, yet we're all still wearing thongs (not the g-string variety.. OK well maybe) and t-shirts. I love this country.

2:13 AM  
Blogger Fella said...

what is "32 with the humidex" translate to in degrees farenheit, becasue it was 95 where I live and that's pretty pleasant, considering what's coming.

8:38 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

I could not live without my airconditioner. Back in Australia, I went from my airconditioned room to my airconditioned car to my airconditioned university lecture room.

I remember when I first lived in Japan as a high school student, I used to go to sleep with the AC set to 16 degrees (c), and I'd wake up in the morning with the windows frosted over... those were the days...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

I feel compelled, once again, to apologize for the smirking chimp who claims to be our president.

Kyoto Protocol. Global Warming. Big ass SUV's. Conspicuous consumption.

I'm also sorry we made that ozone hole over your country, Loz.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Nam LaMore said...

i must disagree with you -- i love A/C -- but we rarely need to turn it on in northern calif - at least those of us who get an off-shore breeze.

i can't remember the last time i turned on the A/C in my car. however, i will have the heat on full blast with the windows rolled down, even in the summer.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

Think nothing of it Ubie. We're pretty bad ourselves... I think when Our Fearless Leader goes to these environmenty summity things you can see him in the background making the "Whatever" sign with his hands.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

the air conditioning in my car now only blows it's cool refreshingness onto my feet.
:(

7:14 PM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Hamilton scares me. I've been visiting from toronto since I was 3.. The factories always made me think of some scary movie, set in the future, full of smog!

-L

9:00 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

the factories always make me think of gotham city (hence the allusions to it in my post). especially at night when you can see the flames coming out of the smoke stacks.

they don't call it steeltown for nothin.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

The worst was the year some shit leaked and got in the air and my grandmother had to throw away all her tomatoes... Thats when I get scared!!
But I have to joy of going to Hamilton next sat, hopefull it won't be too smoggy!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Fella said...

Mmmm... Tori

11:21 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

lmk: hess village?

12:33 AM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I don't know what Hess Park means, sorry, I'm dumb, I'm coming to visit my grandma on the Hamilton Hill (teehee).. You should all come to SoCal, nice and warm in the day but dry, and cool in the evenings so you can sleep!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I mean Hess Village, shows how dumb I am! I'm a TO girl..

12:58 AM  
Blogger diadima said...

the hamilton hill???

it's an escarpment! we've been through this!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Sailing Leeward said...

Oh, for some of us A/C is a necessary evil. My wife has multiple schlerosis, and one of the triggering factors for episodes is exposure to heat. As a resident of the U.S. Plains, I live with A/C or run the risk the heath my wife.

Not all consumption is bad consumption...

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home