Friday, September 02, 2005

ain't got no picture postcards, ain't got no souvenirs, my baby she don't know me when i'm thinking about those years

bourbon blues on the street, loose and complete
under skies all smoky blue green
i can't forsake a dixie dead shake
so we danced the sidewalk clean
my memory is muddy
what's this river that i'm in?
new orleans is sinking, man
and i don't wanna swim

how strange. gord downie of the tragically hip wrote that song 16 years ago and now it's some kind of self fulfilling prophecy. i read somewhere that they don't bury the dead in new orleans. the highest point of the city is only 6ft above sea level and so they build mausoleums on soggy cemetary grounds, 'villes de les mortes'. in 2001, the city was under 20 ft of water and people were using scuba to get around the french quarter. and yet they all stayed. like pompeii and herculaneum to vesuvius- people are compelled.

to those of you on dry land, you can help out here

6 Comments:

Blogger GingerSnaps said...

wow, how eerie is that? i hate cemetaries in the first place, so i would have been freaked out going into the ones down there where people are buried above ground..buried, whatever, placed?? who knows.i am sad that i didnt get to see the city though...

1:50 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

me too.

i was looking forward to taking a picture of anne rice's house and flashing my titties on burbon street.

alas, there are greater losses.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

yea, something like a quarter of the city is below sea level, and its gonna be worse now with the excess weight of this water on everything, it'll settle into the delta more, and be worse the next time.

I'm sure the day will come again when we can all go earn our Bourbon beads though. On the topic, I suggest listening to the interview that MG posted about today with the mayor of New Orleans. The kind of guy that SHOULD be leading large populations...

5:11 PM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

I thought about blogging that TGH song, but I was worried it would be in poor taste... I think you used it nicely!

New Orleans was beautiful, I got to go about 4 years ago. I was walking down burbon street with my parents and these guys yelled down "show us your tits"... My dad turned to me and said "well, they will give you beads.."

6:46 PM  
Blogger GingerSnaps said...

cripes, ill do that anywhere..doesnt need to be in new orleans. is that bad?

2:03 PM  
Blogger diadima said...

oh red, you're so predictably cute.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home